Data Dictionary exists in R/3 Repository. R/3 Repository is in Database but the full image is available in Application Server for real time processing.
Data Dictionary stores and manages metadata i.e. centrally manages the metadata.
Domain = Technical Attributes.
It is a reusable object which contains technical attributes of a field.
Data Element = Short Description + Technical Description
Data Element is a reusable object which contains short description or a business context and technical attributes about a field.
We can not assign a domain directly to a field, rather we assign domain to a data element and data element to a field.
To create a field there are two methods, can be named as : Bottom up and Top Down.
Bottom Up method: Domain Data Element Table
Top Down: method Table Data Element Domain.
Steps to create domain:
1. Goto SE11.
2. Select domain radio button and click create
3. Enter domain name
(Naming convention: user defined object will start with Y or Z)
4. Click Create
5. Enter Short Description
6. Enter Datatype and no. of characters.
8. Enter the package name OR Click on Local Object if you don’t want to assign to any package.
Steps to create Data Element
1. Goto TCODE SE11
2. Select data type zdept-phone
3. Click on create (F5).
4. Select Data Element
5. Enter short description ( more meaningful the better)
6. In Datatype tab Enter Domain
7. Click on Field Label
8. Enter field labels of short, medium and long
9. Save Check and Activate (ctrl + S, Ctrl + F2, Ctrl F3)
In case you want to add further description: Click on documentation.
Steps to Create Table:
1. Goto TCODE SE11
2. Select Database Table radio button
3. Enter Table name
4. Click on create
5. Enter Short Description
6. In delivery class enter A.
Delivery class (there r seven delivery classes)
7. Select A (application table, master transaction data)
8. Select check box
9. Click on fields tab
10. You can write fields names
11. Select key & int checkboxes (1st filed must,
should be primary key)
12. Click on the data element/direct type
13. Then data type will be enabled
14. Enter data & length
15. Place at cursor at sal (if ur write Sal then ) & click
on currency/quant fields
16. (Sal asks reference table i.e. same table name & ref
field is Sal type.)
17. Click on fields
19. local object
20. click on technical settings
21. type data class(APPLO)
22. click (bcoz A is master data so data class is APPLO)
23. size category 0
26. activate ( ctr F3)
27. to add records utilities – table contents – create entries
28. then you can type records
30. reset & store another records
32. to display the records utilities – tale contents – display
NOTE: - All key fields should come first.
-If a data element doesn’t exist, first double click on data element and it takes you to data element browser.
- For more info refer ABAP for newbie: Creating the database tables
Creating Table Maintenance Generator: because end user will not be able to access SE11.
Prerequisites: Need to have function group.
Function Groups SE80 Dropdown Select function group.
Enter function group name short description Save.
Open the Database Table in change mode
Utilities Table Maintenance generator.
Authorization Group Enter &nc& (for no authorization).
Enter function group name.
Select Maintenance type as one step.
Over the View Screen Click on find screen number.
Save and activate.
Creating Transaction Code for a table:
1. Goto SE93
2. Enter desired TCODE name
3. Click on Create (F5)
4. Enter Short Text.
5. Transaction with parameters
6. Transaction SM30
7. Click on GUI attribute
8. Name of screen field ( VIEWNAME UPDATE)
9. Give Value as ZDEPT_DETAILS i.e. the table name.
Domain Data type, description
Attributes Decimal Places for Decimal data type.
Allows to enter how many decimal places.
It is enabled for only data type.
Output Length When the display format is different than that of input format, we use output length,
Generally Output Length will be same or more than input length,
Color Color Code
Conversion Routines ZCLR
CONVERSION_EXIT_ZCLR_INPUT YELLOW 1.
CONVERSION_EXIT_ZCLR_OUTPUT 1 YELLOW
Whenever input storage format is different from output display format (format or value), we use conversion routines.
Eg: if zclr is conversion routine, which we assign in a domain, then create two function modules
To display values with leading sign – we use sign for integers.
Into the database, everything is taken as upper case, if one wants to make it as mixed case – select this check box.
Value Range In order to restrict the entries into the field, specify single value limit or intervals (value range).
Delivery Class – Specifies how table data should behave during a client copy or while upgrade.
Data Browser / Table View Maintenance
1 – Display maintenance allowed - We can create entries into the table, we can change and we can display.
2 – Display maintenance allowed with restrictions. We can only display the data in this case user creates data through transaction.
3 – Display Maintenance not allowed. You cannot do maintenance.
Technical Settings specify how effectively we are managing table in the Database.
Master Data – APPL 0
Transactional Data – APPL1
Organizational Data APPL2
SIZE Category: Specifies in which portion of database, table is stored.
Size Category 0 – 0 to 24000
When 24,001 record is entered, database allocates another 24,000 records to memory but database has to take overhead of storing extra records.
NOTE: Initial chunk is same for all size category that of 24,000.